Saturday, October 25, 2008

My plan for the future




Recently I have been living and working in Japan. I recently separated from the US Navy and decided to stay in the same career field that I was in the Navy. This has proven to be quiet easy, as jobs in the IT field are easy to come by with the right skills and experience. Everything has been going pretty well financially speaking, but as for job satisfaction, it is no longer there. I have come to the realization that I believe it is time to move on and into another career field. I was thinking, as funny and stupid as this might seem, given the current economic situation, to get into the financial industry. This would require me to go to college. The problem here is that I am pretty old. After high school, I gladly gave the country 9 years of my life. It was the best decision that I had ever made. It allowed me to mature, gain real life experience in one of the fastest growing career fields, meet my wife, make friendships that will last for ever, explore the world out side of plainville USA, and know what it was like to sacrifice for others. That was a great 9 years. I served onboard an Aircraft carrier, did a stint in South Korea, and 2 tours in Japan. After separating it was easy to find a job. Unfortunately, I believe that I have become burned out with dealing with the every day operations of an IT operations center. Not to mention, this career field has a salary ceiling that is hard to reach. So, I believe I will head back to my home town in a year or so and go to the University there. It will be a little difficult due to having a family now. But they are supportive of my ideas even if they haven't always been the correct decisions. One good thing is, the GI Bill will be revamped soon, so it should not be too difficult to survive on a 1 part time income and 1 full time. I am just curious if the Financial industry is the correct way to go. Investment banking has been taking a good spanking recently but, history shows that this will not last for ever. I believe that behind doctors, lawyers, professional athletes, celebrities, and politicians, these group of people have the highest paid individuals
in the country. Maybe I am wrong, but I have always had the curiosity to learn more about the stock markets, banking, and anything to do with money. It will take a lot of sacrifice but I believe I could do a pretty good job. But then again, this is just an idea. The country could go bankrupt???? I will take a year or so and pay off the debt that I have, while following the news. If anyone has any experience with this field, I would love to hear.

No comments: